Forum

Ask Your Bible Ques...

Ask Your Bible Questions Here  

RSS

Brad Ward
(@brad)
Member Admin
28/07/2019 3:11 am  

Ask about doctrine or general questions about God's Word.

This topic was modified 4 months ago by Rob

Josh
 Josh
(@josh)
11/09/2019 7:40 pm  

I don't know if you want this question here. If not you can move it to the General forum.

Do you listen to the youtube channel onpointprepardness? (love the channel) He talks a lot of about false teachers and just made a video today talking about the "balance" of correcting others of deception. It seems to be a little different than what I believe.

My main question is referring to the teaching of sin. Whenever you get time I would love it if you would listen to this series on sin and tell me if you think it is a false teaching and why. I have agreed with this message for years but I don't want to be deceived. 

http://www.moorelife.org/php/mlmMediaChannelCollectionContentList.php?site=mlm&channelID=1&languageID=EN&collectionID=139&collectionName=Separate%20From%20Sin

ReplyQuote
Josh
 Josh
(@josh)
16/09/2019 6:34 pm  

How would you answer the question: "how can I accept my parents are going to hell?"

ReplyQuote
Brad Ward
(@brad)
Member Admin
08/10/2019 2:49 pm  

@josh

I haven't watched that channel before. I will check it out.

Thanks for the tip!

ReplyQuote
Brad Ward
(@brad)
Member Admin
08/10/2019 2:59 pm  

@josh

That is a very important question and often an agonizing issue for us to consider. I have my own Biblical derived perspective about this issue of loved ones and friends and Hell. But, since I'm not sure if my perspective is yet well formed enough to give a helpful; answer I will refer you to an excellent source who has dealt with this issue. Keep in mind, Dr. Craig is a Christian and a philosopher, Sometimes he is speaking as an evangelist and some times he is speaking as a philosopher so his rhetoric can be often be dense -because he such an advanced thinker. Sometimes he blows my mind! But, you CAN be assured that he is ALWAYS consistent the God's Word.

I hope this is helpful.

I would like to discuss this issue more in the future.

Thank you for your question and God bless!

#598 Is My Wife in Hell? September 30, 2018

https://www.reasonablefaith.org/writings/question-answer/is-my-wife-in-hell/

ReplyQuote
Rob
 Rob
(@rob)
Member Admin
27/10/2019 7:27 am  

I'm overwhelmed by just how much I have to learn. And there are so many teachings "out there" at variance with one another. I think I need to bring order to my scriptural studies so that I'm actually able to get somewhere. Just choosing a book in the bible and reading it and going on to another isn't enough. May I bother you for some advice?

ReplyQuote
Josh
 Josh
(@josh)
27/10/2019 4:45 pm  

@rob

May I ask why you don't think reading the bible is enough? What exactly are you confused about?

ReplyQuote
Brad Ward
(@brad)
Member Admin
29/10/2019 2:18 am  

@rob

Study Bibles are a great way to deepen your understanding, discover more layers of commonly held doctrines (not new or different, just deeper), and also enrich your own personal walk with Jesus through the Faith He's given us. Links will he given below the reply.

For starters I will recommend two study Bibles that are excellent for different reasons:

For anyone seeking to be highly equipped to share the Gospel in a moment's notice or with great preparation be able to defend your faith with ease against most any objection, I definitely suggest the "The Evidence Bible" by Ray Comfort. 
You can find it in KJV and ESV translations. I have a KJV translation and it has been brought up to date just a little bit. I'm very happy with it for it's clear focus on sharing the Gospel and solidifying why it is rationally and spiritually satisfying to be a follower of Jesus Christ in a modern secular world who mostly rejects Him.

Secondly, I offer the "ESV Archaeology Study Bible". A more scholarly annotated study Bible that brings alive the text with commentary from those who have spent their careers studying God's Word from a practical archaeological perspective including the lifestyles of the people groups of the times. Very good for learning the true perspective of those who lived at the time(s) of the creation of scripture as we know it in one book today. 

I will update this response as I come across more materials that I have found to extend, deepen and strengthen my own faith.

God bless!

KJV Complete Evidence Bible-Softcover https://www.amazon.com/dp/0882709054/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_4F9TDbPN59EH2

ESV Archaeology Study Bible https://www.amazon.com/dp/1433550407/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Tn9TDbEFDT5V3

I am including "Steps to Christ" as well. This little book is a goldmine of encouragement and edification in becoming closer to the Savior. No focus on denominational  doctrines or private interpretations just pure love and respect for Jesus Christ as God in the flesh, the Creator and Savior and fully accessible advocate for all our lives. 

Steps to Christ https://www.amazon.com/dp/1442118741/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_iJ9TDbBJ08WWT

This post was modified 1 month ago by Brad Ward

Rob liked
ReplyQuote
Rob
 Rob
(@rob)
Member Admin
29/10/2019 7:41 am  

@josh Thanks for your questions. In recent times, I have been reading a book at a time, choosing the next one out of interest. Mainly, I have read straight through from start to finish. I find that I don't retain as much as I hope. I get the "vibe" but when I want to relay a message to someone, the words aren't there. And I crave a deeper understanding that comes from being able to understand references in the text that I just don't.

ReplyQuote
Rob
 Rob
(@rob)
Member Admin
29/10/2019 7:50 am  

@brad

Thanks so much for your thoughtful ideas. I have now purchased an audio version of Steps to Christ and it is everything you say. I listened to a little more than half on my way into the city this evening (my commute is two hours and some).

I will definitely take a look at Ray Comfort's Evidence Bible and the ESV Archaeology Study Bible in my next visit to the Christian book store and choose one or maybe both! I'll let you know how I go with them as well.

Many thanks and God Bless!

ReplyQuote
Rob
 Rob
(@rob)
Member Admin
03/11/2019 7:57 am  

@brad On Ray Comfort, it's the question of lordship salvation that seems to be the main point on which people criticise him. I found his response to this interesting. I don't consider his approach to people to be works-based salvation when he calls for repentance and I'm personally not able to fault him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCtDWFGFJD0

I'm happy to be corrected on this. I'm not a scholar or a teacher. I've listened to Gene Kim's rebukes of him. His best point, to me, seems to be where he questions Ray telling people to stop sinning and read their bible (works) (here, from 14:18 in):

https://youtu.be/cCT1UeJyKNs?t=858

Apologies if this is focusing on division. I'm a little focused on how division in the church is caused and what it means to our salvation. 

I appeal to you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and create obstacles contrary to the doctrine that you have been taught; avoid them. 
For such persons do not serve our Lord Christ, but their own appetites, and by smooth talk and flattery they deceive the hearts of the naive. 
For your obedience is known to all, so that I rejoice over you, but I want you to be wise as to what is good and innocent as to what is evil. 

Rom 16:17-19

This division, is it a point of doctrine—of very salvation, or something less? Should Christians be dividing over this difference?

Is it a point of nitpicking? 

I pray to be wise as to what is good.

This post was modified 1 month ago by Rob

ReplyQuote
Share:
Spread the love